It is possible to operate the Ubiquiti UniFi Controller software from the cloud instead of operating locally.
If you want a super easy solution, we can host the controller software for you so you don’t need to operate servers and install the controller software. Please contact us to get a quote.
If you would like to set up the controller in the cloud on your own, you need to do the following steps:
- Add the ubiquiti repository
echo 'deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/debian stable ubiquiti' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/100-ubnt.list
- Add mongoDB repository
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv C0A52C50 && sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 7F0CEB10
You can delete the word “sudo” from the command if you are root.
- Update and Install with apt-get. If you wish to install the v3 controller you need to issue apt-get install unifi-beta instead of unifi !
apt-get update apt-get install unifi
- Go to the controllers web interface on port 8443 and follow simple setup athttps://<ip>:8443
- Pair your APs with the Controller. On your local network find the IP address of your Unifi AP (by checking the DHCP lease list on your uplink router). Make sure the AP is in factory default state. Please issue:
or you can hard reset a the device with a pen.
When the AP is booted ssh into the device and type:
- After you entered into the command line interface (with the command above), type (replace hostname-of-controller with the IP of the controller first):
- After this you have to adopt the AP on the controller page and 1 minute later you have to issue this command again:
- You have to do this set-inform procedure on each AP.